One thing I've been doing, albeit unwittingly, is to call up old friends and colleagues. There is no objective or agenda, but just a desire to say hello, talk to them and see how they're going on. I've not been doing it for the sake of 30-day challenge, so I'm not feeling guilty but really good about it.
So far, I spoke to the following folks:
- Bhavesh - my lead when I started my tenure at HP, the only guy to call me "Mac". Luckily, he hasn't changed his cell number, so we connected on the call after over 5 years. We later met near my office and spent about 40 minutes. He now has a 5-month old daughter, Dwitha (not sure if I got the spelling right). Delighted with the meeting!
- Sudhir Raykar - ex-colleague at HP. I've been in touch with him on and off, but it was still good to speak to him on the phone.
- Mahendran and Karthik CS - we studied engineering together and worked on multiple projects. Both are expecting their first child in November this year, sweet isn't it? Karthik is in to professional photography and I make it a point to follow his amazing work.
- Jayaprasad - another engineering classmate. We connected briefly on GTalk.
- Fred - my ex-manager at Siemens PLM. I consider him one of my mentors, so it was wrong on my part to have stayed disconnected so far. Hopefully, we'll engage in a collaborative project sooner than later.
- Atanu and Moumita - my ex-colleagues at Siemens PLM. We used to have tea at about 2.40PM everyday and I recall the discussions we used to have in those times of recession, lay-offs and swine-flu in Pune (2009).
- Manohar and Srinidhi Koushik - my ex-colleagues at HPshopping.com. Manohar is my colleague currently as well, so we bump into each other sometimes. Srinidhi got engaged recently (23-May-2010), so made it a point to attend his engagement and meet his fiancee and family.
- Christ School friends - Deepak Artal, Biju, Vinod B, K Deepak, Hemanth, Umesh Kumar, Niraj, Jayaprakash, Manjunath, Dr. Nagaraj, Lohith, Nagendra - met them at V Girish's wedding (6-Jun-2010) and had a great time talking to all. The interesting part is that they came in the same groups that they used to hang out with in school. I guess somethings don't change and for good reason in this case!
- Kashi - my buddy who got married in Jan this year. After that, we've hardly met, but I did recently, only for a few minutes. I'm sure we'll catch up big time when we do catch up.
- Vinay Prabhu - my ex-lead at HP and a close friend, but we're hardly in touch.
- Randhir Hebbar - my engineering classmate and entrepreneur. I'm sure we'll collaborate on something, sooner or later.